Tips for staying safe during a storm
- Stay informed: Keep track of the storm's progress by listening to local news and weather reports.
- Prepare an emergency kit: Assemble a kit of essential items that you will need if you lose power or need to evacuate. This should include items like non-perishable food, water, flashlights, batteries, and a first aid kit.
- Secure your home: Make sure all windows and doors are closed and locked, and bring in any loose objects that could be picked up by the wind.
- Protect your pipes: Insulate pipes to prevent them from freezing, and turn off and drain any outdoor faucets.
- Turn off your utilities: If you are told to evacuate, turn off your electricity, gas, and water before you leave.
- Have a plan: Know what to do if you need to evacuate, and make sure everyone in your household knows the plan.
- Stay put: If you are told to shelter in place, stay inside and away from windows.
- Stay safe: Avoid using electrical appliances or using the phone during a storm, as these can become electrical hazards.
- Stay warm: If the power goes out, wrap yourself in blankets and stay in a warm room.
- Check on your neighbors: If you are able, check on neighbors who may need assistance, particularly elderly or disabled individuals.
24/7 Emergency Service